Margaretta was the daughter of Peter Chirnside and Margaret Bell. Peter Chirnside was born in 1804 in the village of Cockburnspath, Berwickshire. He moved to Northumberland to manage a farm, Chatton Park, for a Mrs Pratt, but in 1834 he took on the tenancy of a 500 acre farm on the Duke of Northumberland's estate, Smiley Law Farm (now known as Newham Buildings Farm). His two younger sons, James and Albert, later joined him in the tenancy and at the same time they took the tenancy of another 535 acres at Newstead Farm. The family were to farm successfully in Northumberland for 70 years, James eventually taking the additional lease of Newham Hall, a farm of 1,142 acres. (John Townson information)
Peter Chirnside was also the father of John Bell Chirnside (b 23 Jun 1833). Read detailed information of his family here. (courtesy of John Townson)
Peter Chirnside was the brother of Andrew and Thomas Chirnside, who became influential Victorian pastoralists. The owners of Werribee Park Estate, they donated land and finance to the Werribee District for the building of schools, churches and the railway station.
Thomas Chirnside was born at Berwick in 1815. He was an overlander, arrived in Port Phillip in 1839 and died in 1887. Andrew Chirnside was born at Berwick in 1818, arrived in Port Phillip in 1840 and died in 1890. George and John Percy Chirnside were Andrew's sons. "Werribee Park" was to become their family home. (Links to Australian Dictionary of Biography)
Overlanders were men who purchased sheep in Sydney and travelled overland to South Australia or Victoria to either sell the stock or establish a pastoral run.
There is a town Chirnside in Berwick, Scotland.
Land Leases held by the brothers included:
George Chirnside was the son of Andrew Chirnside. He inherited the Werribee Park Estate After the deaths of his father and uncle, the Werribee Park Estate was divided; George inherited the Homestead and his brother, John Percy Chirnside built "The Manor" on other Werribee land. The Manor was destroyed by fire in 1966.
In the early 1900's, George leased the St. George's Rd, Toorak mansion "Illawarra" from Mrs. James, the wife of Charles James. Mr. James was one of the early land speculators of the 1870's and 1880's, deriving a huge fortune from land subdivisions. The wealthy financier and land owner was disgraced during the bank closures of the late 1880's. Today, "Illawarra" is maintained by the National Trust.
In 1921, George Chirnside purchased the Mooroolbark Park homestead and grazing property (near Lilydale, east of Melbourne). The homestead was built in 1845. The family sold Werribee Park, the headquarters of its empire, and transferred the stud herds and the Werribee mansion contents to Mooroolbark Park. George Chirnside died in 1941.
John Calvert, son of John
Calvert and Jane Murray, married Maggie Fair Chirnside.