Several families are of interest have connections to Tasmania.
Captain John Bell was Master of several ships to Van Diemen's Land between 1818 and 1827, when he settled in Hobart Town with his wife and children.
Van Diemen's Land became a separate colony from N.S.W. in 1825; transportation came to an end in 1853, and the island was renamed Tasmania.
"Big John" Bell and Lewis Bell were visitors to Tasmania around 1840 and 1872 respectively.
The 48th Regiment, to which Major Bell belonged, established the settlement at Macquarie Harbour, on the west coast of Van Diemen's Land. This Major Bell's family connection, if any, is uncertain.
Many future settlers in the Port Phillip District came via Van Diemen's Land.