1. Obituary from an unknown newspaper
of Mr. Lewis Bell
“Old time followers of the sport in Victoria will
regret to learn of the death of Mr. Lewis Bell, which took place at his home,
Murrnong Station, NSW, on December 27. Mr. Bell, who hailed form the borders of
Scotland, where his father, uncles and brother were well known in the sport, was
a born courser. As a lad in 1873 he made his first appearance in Victoria at a
meeting of the old Grant and Polwarth coursing Club, near Geelong, where he had
charge of his uncle’s greyhound, Lord Raglan, who won the event. Mr. Bell
always bred a few dogs at his stations at Booligal and other places. A few years
ago he raised many flags with the bitch Alma Bell, and he won the Victorian St.
Leger with Birkdale in 1922.
Mr Bell was a first class judge of a greyhound, and took great pleasure
in watching a well contested course, and strange to say, though a man of means,
he was never known to bet. …………………The sympathy of all coursers
throughout the state is extended to the deceased gentleman’s wife and
2. Another unknown newspaper article included:
“……I first had the pleasure of meeting him on the Burnside estate, near
Leigh Road, in 1873, when he was assisting at a meeting at which his uncle, Mr. James
Bell of “Woolbrook”, ran a red and white dog named Lord Raglan………
Obituary from the "Riverine Grazier" January 1927
Late Mr. Lewis Bell
are indebted to a correspondent fro the following additional particulars of the
life of the late Mr Lewis Bell to which we referred in our issue of 31st
December:- The late Mr Lewis Bell was a native of Dumfresshire, Scotland,
and left that place for Australia in 1871, with his uncle, Major John Bell,
popularly known as "Big Bell". On his arrival Mr Bell went to
Warrambeen station, Shelford, Victoria, for colonial experience and he was
trained there under the late Alex. Armstrong. His first connection with the
Lachlan district was in 1873, when he went to Merungle Station to take delivery
of cattle for John Bell and Co. who had purchased that station from the Broads.
Later on when John bell and Coy. purchased Moolbong, Mr Bell was given the management
of that station, and he remained there until Alma was bought by Alex Armstrong
and Coy. Mr Bell took delivery of this property on June 1st 1876 and was
managing partner until his death. The well-known Alma flock owes its present
high standard to Mr Bell's many years of close supervision. One of this most
valued possessions was a desk presented to him as a token of their appreciation
of his helpful attitude, by homestead lessees, who came to the district in the
late eighties, when land was thrown open for closer settlement. MR. Bell reside
d at Alma till 1923 and in the following year settled at Murrnong, formerly
Egelabra, in the Albury district, and devoted his time to the establishment of a
merino stud flock there. Throughout his life he was an ardent coursing
enthusiast ad imported several greyhounds. He was president of the hay Coursing
Club, and acted at judge at its initial meeting. In 1881, Mr bell married
the eldest daughter of the late Alex. Armstrong, and he is survived by her and a
grown up family.
Obituary from “Lang Syne”, Scots
College Old Boys’ Union December
Obituary Excerpts from “Lang Syne”
Late Dr. George Bell, CBE, MB, ChM, FRACS.
Distinguished in his services to his country, to
medicine and to education, Doctor George Bell was loyal to his old school, and
unflagging in his interest and support to The Old Boys’ Union. The Old Boys'
Union was ever mindful of this interest and support and it was most fortuitous
that a number of Presidents, both past and present, were able to gather at
George Bell's residence one evening last year and present him with a wall
plaque embracing a beautifully designed badge of the College and engraved with
the words, "For services to The Scots College 1900 to 1969". This
plaque became one of Doctor Bell's treasured possessions and it marked the
occasion of his retirement as Chairman of The College Council in 1969,
which position he held for twenty years, and he was the first Old Boy to
accept that responsibility.
“Bell of Booligal” came to Scots in 1898, was Dux of the School in 1900
and Head Prefect in 1901………. His memorial service was held at St.
Stephan’s Presbyterian Church in Macquarie Street on September
1………….Revd. Graham Hardy spoke of his devotion to The Scots College,
the grim years of the Casualty Clearing Stations in France between 1914-1918,
his support and work for the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Bush Nursing
Association, his service during the Second World War, and the eminent
distinction which he achieved in the world of medicine…….”
Scots College Old Boys' Union asks that Mrs. Bell accept its deep and sincere
sympathy, and knows that in her bereavement she must have great comfort in
the knowledge of the support that she was able to afford this gentle man in
their many years together.