Although she lived in Victoria and her children were educated in Melbourne, Betsy had a strong association with Sydney, presumably through her sons George and Sutherland, and her daughter Mary Ann. Her grandson, Dr. George Bell, was educated at Scots College, Sydney, to which she donated the tower clock. Dr. George Armstrong, her son, donated a stained glass window to the Presbyterian Church. See below.
The Armstrong family in Victoria were members of a group which established the Presbyterian Church in Geelong, and also Scotch College, Geelong.
Dr. George "Pills" Armstrong
The son of Alexander and Betsy Armstrong practised in Sydney. In 1922, he purchased the town house property of 133 Macquarie Street and used it as doctors' consulting rooms. Dr. Armstrong donated the stained glass window, the Armstrong Sutherland Window, to St. Stephen's Presbyterian, (now Uniting) Church, Macquarie Street. The window is in the sanctuary at the front of the church. The gift of Dr. George Armstrong and his sister Mrs. Betty Sutherland was in memory of their parents, Alexander and Betsy, and their brother Sutherland Armstrong.
George Armstrong also owned properties in NSW, including Mahonga, adjourning Murrnong, north of Albury. Jim Bell (son of Lewis Bell) managed this property in the 1930's.
George Armstrong married Florence Edith Ewen in 1903. They had four children: Betsy (1907), Adelaide (1909), Jean (1914) and Alexander (1916).
He died on 3 March 1954 at Winderadeen, Collector, NSW.
Interestingly, Dr. George Bell purchased the property at 133 Macquarie Street, Sydney from Dr. Armstrong in 1929 for use as a residence and consulting rooms. See The Bell Family in NSW.
Sutherland Armstrong, brother of George, owned a homestead lease "Hay North" in NSW in 1905.
Updated: 15 August 2012