Warrambeen - on the Rokewood-Shelford Road
Warrambeen was one of the early land leases in the Portland Bay District, Geelong, with an estimated area of 26,301 acres. "Big John" Bell was one of the owners. Armstrong purchased land at Warrambeen from John Bell. The Alexander Armstrong family lived at Warrambeen. Some Armstrong children are recorded as attending the state school in the village. After the school closed down, Alex. Armstrong in 1883 provided a hut on his property for a private school, paying the teacher £28 p.a. with lodging. It closed at the time of his death in 1893.
Dr. George Bell and (Margaretta) Jean Bell, children of Lewis Bell and MaryAnn Armstrong, were born at Warrambeen in 1882 and 1891, respectively.
Now, Warrambeen is a merino stud property owned by the Warrambeen Pastoral Ltd.
The Warrambeen Landcare Education Centre is housed in an old, bluestone shearers' quarters built during the 1850's.
The area of Deer Park, west of Melbourne, is a light-industrial suburb of Melbourne. Deer Park is the home of the Nobel (Australasia) Pty Ltd explosives and chemical factory, near Kororoit Creek
Picture top right: Deer Park, Mt. Derrimut
Picture right: Lewis Bell at Mt. Derrimut. His daughter, Mary Calvert Bell was born at the property.
Click on images for a larger view.
Burnside Estate - on the Western Highway
Bordering Deer Park on the Western Highway from Melbourne is the Burnside Estate, a large new housing development. View their website and map.